2010年7月27日火曜日

Game Review: Machinarium


Photobucket
Game Title: Machinarium
Game Developer: Amanita Design (Czech)
Language: English
Genre: Point-and-click Puzzle Game
Rating: E (Everyone)

This is a rather interesting game.
I first saw this while rating a picture in one of the forums I joined. The background scenary was what caught my eye.

Plot:

The plot is rather simple, really. It's about a robot who is about to save the city from being blasted by the very same robot bullies who tormented him during childhood. He also has to save his robot girlfriend who is locked in a kitchen duty by the robot police force.

Characters:
The robot is rather cute, especially the time when he screams and panics if you don't disarm the bomb in time.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is rather interesting, since there are puzzles involved. It takes a while to figure out exactly how the whole thing works, but it'll be smooth sailing once you do. The puzzles they have involve critical thinking, which makes it all the more fun. There's no cluttering conversations for they communicate using thought bubbles instead; that's something new.

Photobucket


Graphics:
As stated above, it was the background that lured me to this game. The game consists of beautifully drawn backdrops and the scenery is just amazing. I love that the details that the artists have taken the effort to make. It's post-apocalyptic meet steampunk, minus the victorian influence.

Photobucket

Soundtrack:
Oh, the BGM is really good and that's all I have to say.
 
My thoughts:
It is a beautifully drawn game and the puzzles did give my brain a workout, since I've done nothing but idle during my summer break.
I'm not looking down on them, but I'm rather impressed with what Amanita Design has done. I didn't really think that anyone other than the Japanese, Koreans or the Americans to pull off something like it.
I look forward to more beautifully drawn and sound games from Amanita because they have a promising future ahead of them.