2010年4月25日日曜日

Game Review: クローバーの国のアリス



Game Title: クローバーの国のアリス~Wonderful Wonder World~
Title: Kuro-ba no Kuni no Arisu ~Wonderful Wonder World~ (Romaji)
Title: Alice in the Country of Clover (English)
Game Developer: QuinRose
Language: Japanese (Not available in English)
Voicing: Partial Voicing (heroine remains mute)
Genre: 乙女 AVG
CERO: C

As I've mentioned, this is the sequel to ハートの国のアリス.
I won't give out much of the plot, because that'll just spoil it for some people.
Which means that this is going to be a short review...Or not.

Plot:
...Ok, ok. I'll spoil it just a little.
Alice decides to stay in Wonderland and it's time for a change, and this change is a change in country; that's why it's the Land of Clover.
And that's all I'm gonna give; anymore would spoil the whole thing.
The character plots are rather...Interesting. Just wait for my spoilers, ok?
I'll do them when finals are over, which is in two weeks.

Characters:
The characters are the same as in ハートの国のアリス but two are missing and there's an addition of three. I won't tell who because it's rather obvious. The remaining characters are just as mad, obnoxious, obsessive and macabre as they were. The new characters (including the now existing ナイトメル) fit in pretty well with the crazy and trigger-happy residents. They added the stay-in friend sub-stories where you can get CGs, which didn't exist in the prequel. Oh yeah, they have also added a mini card game, I think it's poker. There's a bonus CG of the character if you beat them in all seven challenges.

Gameplay:
Just like its prequel, it's a click-to-visit, click-to-decide game. They also fixed the Save problem, added the quick-save and quick-load and you can have the character repeat what they said in the history/ message log. But...The game is kinda buggy. The CG revisits was one of the bugged part. I couldn't see one of my bonus CG even though I've already unlocked it. (I think it was one of Ace's)
And if you go revisit Alice's memories, there's a annoying bunch of numbers that will appear in your message log.

Graphics:
Yes, a definite improvement. And there's also a massive improvement in ジョーカの国のアリス andアニバースリの国のアリス, but that's another story.
The characters also have a new change of clothes for formal events. Yes, one of ナイトメル's brainchild. The clothes are gothic-looking (making Alice look like a goth-loli) because of ナイトメル's event (unintended bit of spoiler). There's also some really cute chibi CG. Yes, you heard me, CHIBI! But you're just gonna have to wait for the spoilers to see them.

Soundtrack and CV:
There is a change in BGM and I'm pretty impressed by it. I really hate it when games recycle BGMs. I mean, I've already spent hours listening to the BGM while playing the first game, I sure as hell don't need to listen to it again while playing the sequel. I tried playing the OP of the game on my electric guitar and the starting riff was...Painful. Sliding riffs do not help when you already have several paper cuts on your fingers. The CV for the new characters nailed down their character, and that's all I have to say.

My thoughts:
The overall story was ok but yeah, the buggy parts kinda dampened my gaming experience. The Chibi graphics got me to ROBL (roll on bed,laughing) and I really enjoyed parts where ブラッド was pulling on my heartstrings. Oh yes, I'm biased.
And since they remade ハートの国のアリス with better graphics and more routes, I'm kinda crossing my fingers that it'll be the same for this one. But then again, I want to know what's going to come after Alice next...Gah!

I recommend this game only to hardcore 不思議の国のアリス fans. For those who have just started to have an interest in this series, I'd recommend you to start with アニバースリの国のアリス and then go for ジョーカの国のアリス. It's not necessary to play according to the sequence because each game has its own story and it's not overlapping.

My ratings: 3.9/5 (mainly because of the bugs)